It’s the season for splurging money…on books! (Who am I kidding, every season is a season for splurging books, anyway.) Plus, I’ve been a really good girl this year, I swear. I will always be blissful of the fact that my happiness is very predictable: Books are all I need and I will be okay. That said, let me present the awesome holiday loot, ladies and gentlemen.
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, I’m actually all-set to buy Susanne Clarke’s ‘Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell’ as noted on one of my Must-have Mondays post, but chickened out at the last-minute. I figured I should read something lighter and with lesser pages as a prelude to reading High Fantasy books before I sink myself into that massive door-stopper of a novel. Plus, I’ve been hearing nothing but good things about Patrick Rothfuss’ Kingkiller Chronicles, so I say, this better be epic!
- Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly, This makes me cry, friends. You all know that I’ve got the biggest girl-crush on Jennifer Donnelly after she had me at her glorious novel ‘A Northern Light’. Finding Revolution at the bookstore has been magical–it’s the very last copy they have in stock. Are we fated or what?
- Choker by Elizabeth Woods, This one ain’t originally on my list since I’m well aware that there are mixed opinions about this book both from readers and reviewers. But eh, I still see this in just about every book-tuber haul videos, plus it’s only 145 php on BookSale so I bought it anyway.
- The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman, True, the second book I’ve read from her has been a let-down, but I’m still so eager to read more of her works because the first book I’ve read from her has been magical. And! It’s just 115 php at such stellar almost-brand new condition, so it’s a steal!
- The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, the book’s a little hefty and I’m a little wary about it being a paranormal romance (Ugh, that genre) but I promised myself I’ll go all-out for diversity for my reading list on 2013, and this looks like a chance for it. But ah, to be completely honest: the TITLE, folks, got me intrigued. And that book cover? Oh cheesecakes, just look at it! Just. Gorgeous. It better live up to its promise!
- Killing me Softly by Nicci French, My love affair with the writing partnership of this couple is just on a roll this year. It started with a short story I’ve read from them on a book anthology I picked up a couple of months back and I’ve been hunting their novels ever since. I’ve read Safe House last month and I only fell in love further. So when I spotted this book on the shelf, I know for a fact that I’m definitely not gonna pass up on this one.
- Steam Punk by Various Authors, I am not letting the year end without a new short story collection. 2012 has been such a great year for short stories, and this looks like something I will thoroughly enjoy. And ah, my heart, that book cover stunned me too. (Yes friends, I’m really THIS shallow.)
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, Has anyone ever read her thriller ‘Dark Places’ yet? Because that book just about had my pulse running like mad when I read it last year. Gone Girl is her latest and (from what I’ve read from reviews) her best book to date, so I’m on my toes to read this one!
And that’s about it for my Holiday Book Shopping. Back to Broke as usual. 2013, you better be one heck of a year. Bring it on!